Saturday, September 22, 2012

Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening. Coco Chanel

I have heard this quote many times before, but I had never really listened to what it says. Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, I always felt I was in the wrong place. I always had an artistic eye, though not necessarily the hand for it. I exceptionally loved the art of fashion and all things that go along with it, so, naturally, I moved to Los Angeles to follow my dream. I obtained a degree in fashion merchandising and began working for a color and trend forecasting company in the California Market Center in downtown L.A. I felt like my dream was actually coming true!

Sometimes life is funny, though. I wasn’t thrilled about moving back home at the end of 2009, but there were other things that proved to be more important to me than pursuing my career, such as my family and my new husband, who all lived in the Vancouver, WA area. I needed to be with the people that I loved. On the other hand, though, I felt like my career was over before it had begun. I couldn’t even get a job in retail, much less a styling or merchandising job. I got my old job back, the same job I had before I went to college, and I was bitter.

I had pretty much given up on ever using my creative fashion sense for any purpose whatsoever, until I stumbled across this quote again one day. I had printed it on the back of an old business card years ago. If I believed in it so much back then, how had I completely forgotten what I was so passionate about to begin with? Fashion is everywhere. The beauty and art of it is that each individual can create anything they wish with what they wear. What you feel, what you love, what moves and inspires you; these things can all be portrayed in clothing and your sense of style. And you don’t have to live in a huge, fashion-forward city to do it.

So here it is: my first entry in what I hope will become something that you all look forward to reading. I’ll share my thoughts about what is going on in the fashion industry. I’ll share my outfits, bits of my own closet, tips on shopping and D.I.Y. ideas, and all the reasons why I’m so enthralled by this industry. Please feel free to comment, ask questions, and above all else, enjoy!

1 comment:

Adam said...

Well if I can be the first to comment I would be pleased. Always believe in what you love. Do not let life get in your way, life is about what you enjoy and will never be fulfilling until you grasp what you are good at. Work toward what you love, revel in it, be it, and above all else love it. Life is what you make it, so be what you want. I am behind you 100%. I will follow you.